rant: truewordOffset

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Apr 19 22:35:21 EDT 2021

I'm also annoyed at truewordOffset.
Consider this:

you can get an offset in truewords (the number of truewords that occur
before the given argument,

but you can't get an offset *to* a given trueword.

put truewordOffset(tString, tText, tSkip) will give you a value in
truewords. And you can plug that value into tSkip for the next iteration
to find the next occurence of the string. But only a string. You can't say

put truewordOffset(trueword tTrueWord, tText, tSkip)

And yes, I've got a one-line workaround for it, but what use is this on
its own? You can't just say

put truewordOffset("font", tText) into tOffset

because it might encounter "fontTable" first.

I can't come up with a use for truewordOffset the way it currently
exists, and it isn't used in any of the IDE stacks, so apparently the
team didn't have a use for it either.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com