On the dangers of automated refactoring

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue Apr 13 11:28:34 EDT 2021

On 4/13/21 3:05 AM, Andre Garzia via use-livecode wrote:

> What I didn’t realise was that there was variable shadowing happening in which handler arguments were named with the same name as script-local variables

Ouch. Don't do that.

I end up spending most of my coding life refactoring existing code. And
while I do automated things, I'm *very* wary about the results if I'm
working on a large corpus of code: save everything, make a copy of
everything, save that somewhere else, do the refactor thing, make sure
it still works, commit to git, rinse and repeat.

Also, if the source is somewhere like dropbox then you have access to
previous builds as a backup.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com