The iOS "Files" folder

John Balgenorth sundown.pacifier at icloud.com
Mon Oct 12 18:09:53 EDT 2020

On the iPad each app is sandboxed and that means each app has
its own Documents Folder.  You can get a url to the Documents
Folder for  your app but not other apps.  Using that url you can
read, write, append, move, and delete files that are in your apps
Documents Folder.  A BIG PROBLEM comes when you delete an
app.  All the files in the Documents Folder for your app also  get
deleted.  So if you have a Note application  and have saved a lot
of notes, those notes are saved while your app exists but when
that Note taking app  is deleted  all of your information you’ve
saved is deleted  with it.  Most likely it will not be saved to the
icloud independently so the files you have for that app even
though they exist with the app on your icloud backup will be
deleted with the app.

To me this makes the iPad a poor device for children to be
using for school because  they should be allowed to keep
their school work without keeping outdated apps over the
years they go to school.

JB