Slightly OT: downloading Xcode

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sat Oct 3 04:11:48 EDT 2020

This is a question for people having to use XCode to generate iOS apps. I find from responses on this list that I now need Xcode 15 to have a chance of generating for iOS 14. I would ask Apple this quesiton, but I doubt if I would get a meaningful answer:

I'm working deep in the French countryside with an ADSL connection - although I have enough bandwidth to stream TV programs, really long files are hard to download. Downloading Xcode - which is reported to be an 8.12GB file - at a speed of between 300 and 750 KB/sec is a nightmare. If the download speed drops below some unspecified limit, the download stops and has to be resumed in Safari, but that's not the worst of it. If I leave the download overnight, having got say 4 out of 8 Gb loaded, when look at the download folder in the morning, it only contains 14 bytes, necessitating a complete reload! There isn't even anything in the Trash. What's that about, and is there any way I can simply accumulate the download bit by bit until it's all finished?

If anyone has any hints, I’d be grateful. Otherwise it means spending some hours keep the download pot boiling and wrecking the rest of my day.

Thanks

Graham