Modal stacks cpu usage

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Fri Oct 2 20:01:47 EDT 2020

> Confirmed here on macOS 10.14.5.  The CPU load is indeed quite dramatic
> with modal dialogs.
>
> I also checked on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04), and LC does not exhibit the
> problem there.

Thanks Richard for confirming, and testing on Linux. Yes I will file a bug report.

It occurred to me that LC shouldn’t be using as much as 34% cpu when it is just idling anyway, even when not running a modal stack. Testing just now shows that is down to around 16%; of course LC’s time share will depend on lots of OS factors and other running apps, but that’s still way too high for an app supposedly doing nothing but waiting for events. Turning off the Rinaldi revSmartSave plugin brings it down to between 4 and 7%, which is more reasonable; presumably something to do with displaying its progress bar, perhaps another wait side effect.

Neville Smythe