Obtaining URL to latest Stable LC Server

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 21 13:01:59 EDT 2020

The encrypt and decrypt commands are part of the core language common to
all editions, along with hashing with messageDigest and the older
md5Digest and sha1Digest functions.

The one form of encryption proprietary editions enjoy is with stacks, to
protect scripts. For the most part this is irrelevant to any open source
use since of course the whole point is sharing code.

But there are at least two use cases where stack encryption might be
useful with open source projects:

- Preventing code modification: If you had a system that uses unlocked
stacks downloaded from multiple sources, it's possible that one script
downloaded from  nefarious source could modify another.

- Protecting secrets: Other scripting languages (PHP, Python, Ruby,
etc.) are plain text files, so secrets like DB passwords need to be
handled with care.  With LC it would be possible to put that info in an
encrypted stack for an additional level of protection that would give LC
a competitive advantage no plain-text scripting language could match.

That said, both are edge cases and neither prevents us from getting
serious work done with what we have today.

In the first case, if one dared to make a system that ran stacks from
unknown sources, code modification would be the least concern compared
with all the other ways script behavior can be modified at runtime
within a single LC instance (frontScripts, backScripts, etc.).  In a
server context it's almost completely irrelevant because that's the last
place we'd want to put code from unknown sources. :)

And the second case puts even unlocked LC stacks at no disadvantage
compared to pretty much any other language everyone else everyone uses.
If traditional ways of managing secrets are good enough for healthcare
and banking, they're probably good enough for the types of web services
the rest of us make.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems