Small and strange problem

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon May 11 13:37:58 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-11 18:18, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:
> As I tiny bit of background, the script tries to parse a string that
> represents a longitude, copied from a web site. It certainly has some
> weird characters in it, but I thought I’d got round then. FWIW, the
> string is
>
> 004° 31′ 50″ W
>
> I am going to report it to the mother ship

I agree there is something odd going on if in the debugger tMins has 31
as the value but when run the script outside of the debugger you get an
error.

What is the code before it in the handler? (Indeed what is the code for
the whole handler!)

The tMins var is presumably local, and so must be being initialized with
a value somewhere when running in the debugger; outside of the debugger
the error you are getting is because tMins has value "tMins" which is
not a number until it is initialized (as its an unquoted literal at that
point - as I'm guessing you have explicitVariables/VariableChecking
turned off).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps