I need some DataGrid performance help

zryip theSlug zryip.theslug at gmail.com
Wed May 6 11:57:10 EDT 2020

Paul,

datagrids are using virtual properties, so you can't lock the messages.

tooltip, sorttype, and editability have only an effect if one interact with
the datagrid. I do not think this is your issue. Plus, I ran in a similar
problem when I updated DGH 2.5 with column color capabilities. One of my
problem was with column width refreshisment.

sortdirection will have importance only if the datagrid is sorted by one of
the column and if your datagrid data is not empty. In this case you can set
the sorted column to empy prior to create / refresh the columns.

A last advice: create the datagrid columns and then filled in them with the
data.

Best Regards,

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:42 PM Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <

> On 5/6/2020 7:58 AM, zryip theSlug via use-livecode wrote:
> > After each call to a column property such as dgColumnWidth, the datagrid
> is
> > resized (header, column, rectangles, etc)
>
> This I did not know. Thank you.
> >
> > Instead of having them in the loop, prepare the column size, columns
> label,
> > etc and uses the table properties existing for setting all the values at
> > once. In this case the refresh of the datagrid is internally made only
> one
> > time.
>
> This I did know. As I said in my initial message:
>
> I realize that I could use: 'set the dgProp["column widths"] of grp <DG>
> to <returnDelimitedListOfWidths>' as a single set action vs a loop where
> I am using 'set the dgColumnWidth[tColumnName] of grp <DG> to
> <singleWidth>'.
>
> However, there are only Datagid properties so set attributes for ALL
> columns for alignments, visibility, widths, and labels. Therefore, I
> have to use a loop anyway to set the tooltip, sorttype, sortdirection,
> end editability
>

> SO, while I can change the code to set the column ALIGNMENTS and WIDTHS
> all at once, I am still stuck setting the TOOLTIP, SORTTYPE,
> SORTDIRECTION, and EDITABILITY column by column in a repeat loop. So
> what do I do about setting the TOOLTIPs? There is NO 'set the
> dgProp["column tooltips"] of grp <DG> to <returnDelimitedListOfTips>'
>
> Obviously, I can just TRY using LOCK MESSAGES (as Paul Hibbert
> suggested), but I am concerned that may cause more problems that it
> solves. Does anyone KNOW for sure?

Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com