FormattedHeight

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun May 3 06:04:01 EDT 2020

I agree that that’s what Widgets are for, but I don’t think there’s been enough input from the mother ship to ensure that all published widgets look as much as possible like ‘normal’ LC objects, with the expected properties and full documentation. Obviously some are very powerful and useful and amount to nice little bits of software one can slip into a program, like for example the  browser or even the clock - but some are so mysterious that they are unusable. Heather recently told me that there is some hidden documentation and examples of some of the ‘Mg' series, which seems kind of ludicrous.

But my main point is that anything which ends up appearing on a screen should have all the usual properties like colours, tooltips etc - several of the things that I’ve been trying to use lack the most simple properties and therefore seem very ‘foreign’, which surely is counter-productive. As I see it, widgets are intended to be a way of integrating new objects and capabilities into LC without needing changes in the engine. I think that the technical foundation is good but the implementation and presentation up to now is not sufficiently mature.

Just my two locked-down Eurocents.

Graham