Most obscure HC question

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Sat May 2 21:56:48 EDT 2020

Hi

I posted this but then it bounced back because the message was too large.

Trying again posting as plain text.

----------

I looked this up in my Hypercard Script Language Guide

If you could get at the stack the script to set the window full size would be

     set the rect of cd window to the screenRect

But you probably know this and probably can’t hack into the standalone to edit the scripts.

Looking in the HyperCard reference manual for 2.3.5 and I see these two sections Moving and resizing the card window and Working with large cards that seems to have the solution to fit your needs.

I found that these are also in that site.
https://cancel.fm/stuff/share/HyperCard_Reference_1.pdf  so It should work for HyperCard 1.0 too

Hope this works

Martin
Moving and resizing the card window

Each HyperCard stack opens in a window. A HyperCard window always displays only one card at a time. This section explains how to change the size of a card window and move it around on the screen.

A HyperCard window is different from a standard Macintosh window in that it has neither scroll bars nor a visible size box.

Moving a card window

You move a HyperCard window around on the screen the same way you move any Macintosh window—by dragging its title bar.

Chapter 1: Using HyperCard 1-35

Resizing a card window

You can easily change the size of a card window. Resizing the card window doesn’t change the size of the card; it only changes how much of the card you can see. If you make the card window smaller than the card, you see only part of the card. You can see the entire card, if your screen is large enough, by making the card window the same size as the card. (The next section, “Viewing Large Cards,” explains how to view cards that are larger than your screen.)

To change the size of the card window, you can either resize the card window directly or resize it via the Scroll window.

To resize a card window directly, follow these steps:

	• Pressx-Shift-E.
A size box appears in the lower-right corner of the window.

	• Drag the size box to resize the window:

When you release the mouse button, the size box disappears. If you want to resize the window several times in succession, x-drag the size box until the window is the size you want it.

❖ Note: You can’t make the card window larger than the card itself. ❖ To resize a card window by using the Scroll window, follow these steps:

1. Choose Scroll from the Go menu (or press x-E). The Scroll window appears.

1-36 Chapter 1: Using HyperCard

2. Drag from any edge or corner of the rectangle (or the blank region, if there’s no rectangle) inside the Scroll window.

When you move the pointer over the edges and corners of the rectangle, it becomes a double-headed arrow. Drag with the double-headed arrow to resize the card window.

Resizing the card window vertically

The rectangle represents the card window.

When you resize this rectangle, the card window is resized.

To make the card window the same size as the card, you can either double-click inside the Scroll window, or click the zoom box of the card window. (If the card is larger than your screen, the card window becomes about the same size as the screen.)

To hide the Scroll window, click its close box or press x-E.

Resizing the card window diagonally

Chapter 1: Using HyperCard 1-37

Working with large cards

When you’re working with a stack whose cards are larger than the screen, you can see only a portion of a card at a time. To look at other parts of a card that is larger than the screen, you can use either of the following techniques:

	• Press x-Shift-E and then drag the card around using the hand pointer ( ). The pointer turns into the hand when it is over the card. When you release the mouse button, the hand disappears. To move around the card several times in succession, press and hold the x key until you’re finished.

	• Open the Scroll window by choosing Scroll from the Go menu, or by pressing x-E. Then use the Scroll window to scroll to other parts of the card.

To scroll to other parts of the card, drag from the middle of the rectangle.

The pointer becomes a hand when it’s in the middle of the rectangle.

❖ You can work with small windows as well.
techniques to view any card when the window is smaller than the card. (“Moving and Resizing the Card Window” in Chapter 1 explains how to resize the card window.) ❖

To limit the scrolling to either horizontal or vertical movement, hold down the Shift key while you drag.

5-6

Chapter 5: Working with Cards and Backgrounds

The blank area represents the entire card.

The rectangle inside the blank region represents the part of the card you see on your screen.

You can also use either of these

To hide the Scroll window, click its close box or press x-E.

❖ Keep the card window no larger than the screen. When you’re working with a stack whose cards are larger than the screen, keep the card window small enough to fit on the screen. If you make the card window larger than the screen, you can’t scroll around to see all the parts of the card. (See “Changing the Size of Cards” in Chapter 4 for instructions on making the cards smaller.) ❖

Regards,

Martin Koob