Unicode and languages

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jun 5 13:46:43 EDT 2020

On 2020-06-05 18:15, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> I don't even know if language exists in the IBM Unicode engine as some
> exportable property a future version of LiveCode could expose.
>
> Any clever ideas or thoughts on this problem are welcome.

Unicode doesn't deal in languages but 'scripts' e.g. English and French
are both written in the Latin script, whereas Ukrainian can be written
in either the Latin or Cyrillic script.

LiveCode gives you access to the unicode properties of all codepoints
(as held by ICU) via the 'codepointProperty(codepoint, property)'
function.

e.g. codepointProperty("A", "Script") => "Latin"
      codepointProperty(numToCodepoint(0x03B1), "Script") => "Greek"

This might at least help to cut out trying to spellcheck things which
are definitely not the languages you do have dictionaries for.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps