ADA Compliency

Andrew at MidWest Coast Media andrew at midwestcoastmedia.com
Mon Jun 1 19:23:28 EDT 2020

I’m glad this has been brought up as I have done some internal investigation myself, with mixed results. A higher education institute I work for pushes us hard for a11y forward workflows (to the point where we’re supposed to include a text description of any MEMEs we post in the official Slack channel). This made me aware of some common issues and tools for adaptive technology.

As Curry mentioned (bravo for the excellent thread), there are LOTS of impairments to consider with absolutely zero practical way of accommodating them all. For the sake of web/mobile most usability requirements would tend to land on touch/motor (adaptive input), vision (text size, screen colors, text to speech), and hearing (transcripts and audio descriptions). iOS has some great accessibility features built-in that (I’ve been told by our “experts”) are the most common tools for the platform.

So I gave them a go with a simple Livecode stack consisting of:
- native text field with content
- Livecode text field with content
- native button
- 3 Livecode text fields next to each other

A basic test that I tried was using the VoiceOver option. This is basically text to speech at the OS level. Everything in my Livecode app was recognized as “possible text” by the OS, including the system clock in the corner, but not even the native text fields were “recognized" as text. This worked ok if the text had a wide line length across the whole screen, but fell apart if fields with word wrap were placed next to each other (columns were ignored and reads across the entire screen, then goes “down a line” and reads across the screen, etc.). None of the text options take into account the Display & Text Size system settings.

—Andrew Bell