WebSites made using Livecode.

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Jul 6 09:55:43 EDT 2020

Hi Heriberto,

I've read this thread and want to share a bit of experience of using LC as
a server engine. I'm part of the team that builds
http://www.himalayanacademy.com which is probably the largest site built
with LC Server around. I'll try to frame this email in the topics I've seen
you worried about, feel free to ask questions here on the thread and I will
try my best to answer them.

ON THE POPULARITY OF A LANGUAGE
Many managers and clients don't have the necessary context to judge
whatever tools are presented to them and will often go to generic metrics
such as popularity to try to gauge what is going on. Even though popularity
might correlate to quality it doesn't mean that something less popular is
bad. You can't really compare the engines powering behemoths of the
industry with all their gravitas to small niche languages in terms of
popularity because the small languages will always look bad. If you go
through those metrics, even extremely powerful languages like Haskell and
Elm will show as small blips when compared to PHP or Ruby.

It is important to notice that there is a very important case to be made
for choosing popular languages: the high availability of software
developers working with those tools and vendors/webhosts/ecosystems
supporting those languages. It is easier to find PHP developers, hosts, and
consulting firms, than it is to find the LC equivalents, so for a company
choosing to bet their development into some stack, the PHP solution might
seem more attractive.

To counterbalance that you can say that most people doing professional
development will be using Virtual Private Servers instead of shared host
accounts, and those type of servers give you full control over the
(virtual) machine, which means you can host LC on them. Linode, AWS, Azure,
Digital Ocean, all those popular services can host LC based solutions when
set up correctly. Besides that, LiveCode has an open source GPL version, so
they don't need to be that scared of a using it as even if the LC HQ
decides to do something else, they can still build and use the code.
Talking about LC HQ, it might be good to tell potential clients that the
company that builds the language has a consulting arm and if anything
happens then can be hired to fix or help fix the difficult unique
challenges they may face. Having this direct line to the LC HQ is a
valuable thing.

ON RESPONSIVENESS AND MODERN WEBSITES
All that happens client-side and is not related to the server engine at
all. You could be hosting a web server with an Oberon based webserver and
as long as you were shipping HTML/CSS/JS built following the current best
practices all would be well.

This means that using LC is no excuse not to learn how to do proper
webapps. Anyone working on the web these days need to have command of
"HTML5" to be able to deploy solutions that are up to the standards we
want. The good news is that HTML5 is easier than HTML < 5, if you don't
care much about compatibility with old browsers, doing a web app these days
is pretty easy.

WHERE LIVECODE SHINE (A PERSONAL TAKE)
I have been around LiveCode for a while and have developed an opinion on
which situations I think it shines. It can be used for other cases, don't
get me wrong, but it does shine in some specific patterns that make it a
lot easier to sell solutions based on it.

In my own personal and subjective experience, LiveCode shines when you are
building desktop applications, or combining desktop applications with
server-side solutions. With LiveCode you can have a webapp doing
server-side LC server and an HTML5 front-end, while still having a full
desktop application for handling all the administration stuff. Instead of
spending a ton of time to craft a webadmin panel, or a clunky CMS, you can
offer your client the full power of an offline-first desktop application to
manage the webapp you're building. That is a powerful proposition and one
that I wish would surface more in LC marketing and in the stories on this
list.

With LC you can ship a whole suite of desktop and mobile apps that act as
companions to the business your client is doing while still delivering a
webapp as the user facing part of your contract.

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 20:41, Heriberto Torrado via use-livecode <

http://www.andregarzia.com