Corrupted Stacks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 29 16:37:48 EST 2020

Marty Knapp wrote:

 > Thanks Richard. What would be considered a large file? In my case I
 > would guess the average file is around 1mb though in some cases it
 > could be up to 5mb.

Hard to say what these cloud sync services may find problematic. Most of
issues I've read about are with paging formats like SQLite, e.g.:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7003336/how-enable-icloud-support-for-sqlite

Since LC writes in one clean step I'm surprised it would have an issue,
but while looking into this recently I stumbled across a lot of people
who are having issues with Excel files corrupting in sync services.

IIRC Dropbox uses - or at least once used - WebDAV, and Nextcloud and
others still do.  This makes the sync issue more vexing because WebDAV
does whole-file transfers, as opposed to patching.

So unfortunately I have little I can confidently convey on this, beyond
having seen a lot of vendors using SQLite and other paging formats
recommend not working directly in synced folder.

 > I was just on the phone with a customer who is periodically (once
 > every 2-3 months) having this issue. He’s on a gigabit network and
 > a 1mb file took about 5 seconds to save before the document closed
 > and the tilde version of the file was deleted. That’s seems pretty
 > slow for that size of file.

The time between the engine's deletion of the "~" file and it's
*apparent* deletion in a file manager may be quite different, as many
file managers don't immediately re-render file listings in the UI,
deferring it until a few ms after idle (or in the case of Windows, I've
seen GUI file listing updates take a few seconds).

This time may also be affected by the polling rate of any cloud sync
service used with the folder.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems