iOS app crashes on launch

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jan 24 03:27:52 EST 2020

On 2020-01-24 02:07, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
> J,
>
> High Sierra
> Xcode 10.1 build tools
> LC 9.6.0 dp2
>
> Confirm crash on 9.3.6
> Works fine on 12.4.2
>
> LC 9.5.1 works OK on 9.3.6
>
> I don't have an iOS 11 device to test but we now know that 9 and 10
> CTD.

Unfortunately both iOS 8 and iOS 9 builds will crash if a browser widget
is
included - these very old versions of iOS (whilst they have WKWebView)
don't
seem to like modern uses of it (they also have problems with the
replacement
player implementation!).

We kept the min version to allow as low as 8 as apps not using the
browser
widget work fine (although I wonder if that actually provides false
information
in a way so might have been an error - perhaps we should just remove
those
options from the S/B).

It could be that iOS 10 is suffering the same problem - @Jacque can you
attach
any crash logs you can get to a bug report so we can check? (And indeed
try
building and running an app which doesn't include the browser widget on
the
old device you have access to?).

If it is confirmed that iOS 10 also has a problem with the new browser
implementation on iOS then there isn't really much we can do there.

Its probably worth mentioning that based on looking at few different
stats
sites on the matter - devices running iOS 10 and still attempting to run
apps / fetch websites now makes up < 2% of all iOS OS usage and that's
dropping by about 0.3% a month. iOS 9 usage is already < 0.5%, and iOS 8
is almost non-existent.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps