empty variable

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 3 16:59:19 EST 2020

Inputs often pose a bigger risk than core dumps.

Where you ask:
"Any suggestions to make it as secure as possible?"

...we might instead ask:
"Any suggestions to make it as secure as *practical*?"

...or even:
"Any suggestions to make it as secure as *cost-effective*?"

There are always ways to make things more secure. The hard part is
defining an appropriate level of effort relative to the importance of
the secret.

Consider this scale of 1 to 5, in terms of how hard people work to keep
things secret:

1. My app's reg code
2. A user-defined password
3. A user's social security number
4. Nuclear secrets
5. Trump's tax returns

If it's #1 I wouldn't spend more than half an hour thinking about it,
for so many reasons covered in this list before.

#2 is worth spending some time on, but better hashed than encrypted.

#3 or above will require an understanding of the system to provide
useful guidance.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems