Diagnosing a crasher (was Re: Quality, reputation, and improving both)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 21 03:44:21 EST 2020

J. Landman Gay jacque wrote:
 > We're about to submit the iOS app now and my testers have had several
 > intermittent crashes we can't repeat, even though I built that one
 > with 9.5.1 stable. I submitted crash logs but the team could only
 > repeat the problem once and there's no real recipe. How
 > would you trace something like that?

Only iOS or in development too?

I'd consider running a logger, but if it's not merely intermittent but
also rare, the challenge is that a logger will slow things down a little
bit while you're working, writing giant log files that most of the time
aren't needed.

Hmm...

 > It feels like a memory leak to me but that could happen anywhere in
 > the app. Wherever it is, it goes back a ways.

How far back?  In which version did you first start seeing this?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems