Layers in PBrowser

Sean Cole (Pi) sean at pidigital.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 20:25:49 EDT 2020

Thanks Richard, Brian and Mark.

Now that the rush is over I can breathe and try to work this out, again, to
make it simple for even simpletons to understand! ;) It is, as said before,
an issue that has been an issue for 6 years, gets poo-poo'd and ignored
along with the plethora of other fundamental issues in favour of adding new
features that get partially completed and stupid expensive $500 plugins no
one will buy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3vu13khoscqjvk/LayersFail.mov?dl=0

I've tried it on Linux, Windoze and MacOS. This is created in LC9.6.0
Stable. Not from a binary or an old version (thanks for the suggestion,
Brian, but I was working on a brand new, quick turn-around project - 3 days
to produce a fully working TV Gameshow onscreen graphics application from
_**scratch**_ - LC rocks when it's not complete turd!),

If it's, as Jacque infers, down to how layers are handled then it's
probably an Engine thing. Indeed, Mark at LC does indeed infer this too in one
of the bug reports. As Richard says, this could produce Backwards
Compatibility issues. But I never understand why that should stop it from
being fixed. The 'just the way it is' card should NEVER prevent progress
and improvement. The old engines and versions still exist and can be used
until the old apps are brought up to date. Old code and methods are often
deprecated in our business in all languages. So why not improve, ney, FIX
the g-damned dysfunctional layering? Pathetic excuses, that's why!

I've looked through all of the IDE code and it's a serious mess! Much like
the stupid dictionary browser that's got itself stuck in the 1950s somehow.
I think Turing had something to do with it. :/ But, as Mark at AHS mentioned,
even if I did find a fix and offered it, because it's a binary it cant be
easily posted up on Github and LC seem to have gone to the isolation ward
since lockdown (and about 6mths before as well). Our very breath here is
wasted because, as is noted by the lack of noise from LC despite their
chipping in on other conversations on this forum, PB is not a subject LC
are even remotely interested in. Based on the volley of issues on Bugzilla
I cherry-picked from related to PB not working, barely any have been
touched in the last 6yrs despite being confirmed.

HTML5 deployment is abandonware (I'm going to have to ask for a refund
on my two three year licences for it after all the failed promises of it
NOT being abandonware). Project Browser is abandonware. Widgets and the LC
marketplace, abandonware. Script editor, Abandonware. Monte's mergext
suite, practically abandonware. LCFM Native, definitely abandonware (
https://quality.livecode.com/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=lcfm) for all the
money they fed into that amazing waste of time. LC itself?? Heading that
way.

Sean Cole
*Pi Digital *

On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 at 00:16, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <