Browser Widget and Twitter on iOS 13

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Aug 14 09:01:01 EDT 2020

On 2020-08-14 13:31, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Panos and Mark!
>
> So... to recap..
> 1) get the userAgent in Safari on my 10.14.6 Mac
> 2) in App (If the platform="iphone" then set userAgent to this value).

Pretty much - although I recommend not using the userAgent string from a
mac. Instead, get the userAgent string from an iPad which allows you to
access twitter.com through the browser widget. Just in case anything
mac-ish in the user agent string causes twitter.com to do something
different (e.g. specialize for desktop rather than mobile).

> Should I use the userAgent globally for all browser widget http(s)
> requests
> on platform = iphone?

Isn't the issue on iPad?

> Will this affect any other tsNet functions?

The browser widget uses WKWebView which uses system HTTP functionality
so tsNet isn't involved.

> Should it be reset back to empty for any reason?

I can't think of one.

> Should I file a bug report?

No - this isn't anything we can do anything about. I strongly suspect
the iPad issue your client is having is one of;
   - it isn't running the very latest iOS version, and Twitter is
blocking the default userAgent string for that version and older ones
which come from WKWebView
   - Twitter's (new?) block-list isn't actually correct and not taking
into account enough variations (e.g. those coming from WKWebView).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps