Accessibility in LC projects

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Thu Apr 30 15:10:10 EDT 2020

Hi,

I’m looking at modifying my Music in the Air application to enhance its accessibility, specifically for the sight impaired. I would be using text to speech to make it what is called in the accessibility world-- “self voicing.” The goal is to not only speak the text (which is the easy part in LiveCode), but allow the user to identify and control the UI elements by a combination of keyboard strokes and speech-to-text identification of the semantic hierarchy of objects on the LC card.

Does anyone have experience with this before I jump in and try to invent the wheel?

There are screen reader applications, including the built-in VoiceOver on MacOS, and a couple of applications for Windows that work with web browsers and certain common applications. But as far as I know, I have to script everything to emulate a screen reader with a LC application.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive