A short question about Xcode

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 11:35:55 EDT 2020

Graham:
I’ve been where you are, with the maze of requirements to get an app on iPhone. One thing I found was that the trail of mis-steps left a confusing mess of invalid entries in the keychain and Xcode app, and in the other places in my . When I got rid of every entry that I had made and started over from scratch, I had success finally. So, every time I get to that point in the project, I do a housecleaning, then religiously followed the steps some of the livecode app gurus have posted. I’m fortunate in that I only need to use my app on my own iPhone and don’t have to go thru the apple store.

FYI— Sorry that I didn’t note the author of this snippet, but I found it very useful and stored it in my notes. It may not be the most current, as well.
Ah yes - one of the biggest GOTCHA’s there is when working on Apple certification…

I’ve found the best approach is to keep my dev machine scrupulously clean as regards old certificates, and a session with Keychain Access pays dividends.

The same thing goes as regards old provisioning profiles - you should find all provisioning profiles on your mac stored at '/Users/<userName./Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles’. Regular cleaning out of that folder and then using Xcode to pull down fresh copies is the way to go

In general ‘good hygiene’ with your certificates and profiles is necessary and will prevent much head thumping, cursing, gnashing of teeth and tears at bedtime :)

And finally, I’ve found it best to keep old copies of Xcode on my machine in their own sub-folder (individually named) in the Applications folder whilst keeping the executable named “Xcode.app”
—End of snippet

Good luck,
Bill

William A. Prothero