MP3s

Paul McClernan paulmcclernan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 20:38:28 EDT 2020

As Richard said:

> LC's Player control uses the host OS's playback engine, so as long as
> the OS-supplied media player can handle a format, LC should be able to
> as well.

For clarity, I would add that the mp3 files to be played could be included
with a standalone package on platforms like macOS (app bundle resource
folder) and Android (inside the app/zip folder) so there wouldn't be any
mucking about for the user. Another method to include them is to encode the
files as Base64 and store them in a custom property in your stack, then
extract them to the system's temporary directory or the app's preference
directory and play them from there.
Also, there is a (mostly complete) library written in LiveCode script for
reading (and writing, but that's the unfinished bits) ID3 tags and other
info directly from the binary data of mp3 files.
https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/id3lib

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 1:10 PM Graham Samuel via use-livecode <