MP3s

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Apr 12 16:33:25 EDT 2020

Lossy? Yes, like JPEG. And like JPEG, the format does very well indeed for a huge variety of applications. I listen to MP3 music a lot, mostly classical, and I don’t feel the lossy aspect is really taking away from the quality of what I hear to any extent. Of course if the whole chain of production from the Stradivarius to my ears was of the very best quality, I would be cursing that pesky lossiness. But not in ordinary life, and certainly not for a looped warning sound lasting a few seconds.

Incidentally, my statistics are a trifle worse than Richmond’s:

mySound.mp3 - 81 Kb
mySound.wav - 890 Kb
mySound.AIFF - 890 Kb

Still, subject closed - I presume the mother ship has long ago decided not to enhance LC in this respect any time soon.

Graham