Go to card has become slow

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Fri Apr 10 22:53:22 EDT 2020

> On 11 Apr 2020, at 2:00 am, Brian Milby wrote
>
> I just imported a 500kb image to the card, removed the text from the field,
> created 300 cards.
> 0.756 seconds normal (171MB).  1.124 from a variable. (image instead of
> text)
> 8.311 seconds normal (8.2MB).  0.047 from a variable.  (original text)
>
> I'll need to clean this up with a better image (something I can share) and
> try on my Mac for comparison when I get off today, but this points squarely
> at the serialization of the field object being the difference.

I am intrigued by the fact that save stack (for a stack with on-disk file size 171MB) took *less* time than saving its binary data representation. Doesn’t that mean that the images were already on disk, and the in-memory stack was very much smaller than 171 MB, containing only image references. In which case I’m not sure we are comparing like with like, as compared with the text version (unless "save stack as newStackFile" might be give more comparable info?).

My hunch is that Richard’s point about the Windows write-to-file overhead is still the key, not the serialisation. One would to need to compare the number of writes used by the engine for the two stack versions. That I do not know how to do , but I think the incomparable Brian could do it!

Neville