Go to card has become slow

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 9 23:58:55 EDT 2020

Earlier I wrote:
 > Bob Sneidar wrote:
 >
 >  >> On Apr 8, 2020, at 11:16 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >  >>
 >  >> Better still, see the last comment on that page. :)
 >  >>
 >  >> It kinda fits Brian's observation about how the stack file is
 >  >> written in a series of small writes, one per object.
 >  >
 >  > Yes, but I have saved stacks with both Defender and Kaspersky
 >  > disabled. In our case I do not think that is the entire issue.
 >
 > Probably not exclusively. But to assess the contributory effect, what
 > are your measurements using Neville's test with and without those AV
 > packages active?

It may not be worth the trouble.

When I run Neville's stack saving test here with Windows Defender's RTP
on the 8MB stack save takes a little over 8 seconds.

And when I turn RTP off it takes a bit over 7 seconds.

So while RTP is a clear conributor, it doesn't account for most of the
speed loss on stack saves.

@Brian Milby: When you were looking up the stack serialization in the
code, did you see anything which might explain why this slowdown is only
evident on Windows but not Mac or Linux?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems