Video format for mobile

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Apr 9 14:17:00 EDT 2020

Tom Glod wrote:
 > There is cisco's openh264 codec which they open sourced.  So that is a
 > potential solution that would have to include the livecode team.
 >
 > https://github.com/cisco/openh264

Super-cool, Tom. Thanks for posting that.

It's an impressive work, both technically for its breadth of support and
with its license, the permissive MIT-like BSD 2-Clause "Simplified" License.

Curious about how they were able to pull that off without triggering the
patent wrath of the MPEG-LA consortium, it seems Cisco wrote a large
check and is absorbing the cost internally, not passing that cost on to
users of the component:
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/

This is how we can watch Netflix in Firefox, and many other things with
proprietary and DRM content.

Thanks, Cisco!

--
  Richard Gaskin