LC Android deployment working on Windows 10 under ARM64

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Apr 8 11:58:37 EDT 2020

Bob,

I can still run apps for Windows 3.11 if I want. Windows ME is even easier.
I can even still run DOS 16bit stuff.

> 32 bit only apps are apps that are not maintained, and have likely not
been maintained for quite some time. Win XP 64 bit was released in April
2005. 15 YEARS ago. The die was cast way back then. Anyone who refused or
were unable  to update their apps to 64 > bit are likely not in the
business of software development and support, or else are not very serious
about.

This is completely false. There are many hardware peripherals that require
32bits drivers for example. It is very common to have industrial stuff
running with 32bits. Also, all windows machines can run 32bits apps, so
many windows apps are still 32bits as it doesn't make sense to update them
to 64bits and risk it not running on some machines as in the case of
windows, things change very little between 32bits and 64bits. Stuff such as
video editors and multimedia apps benefit a lot from being 64bits and those
are the ones that I most see with only 64bits available.

A good example of the trainwreck that Apple did with the 32bits fiasco is
that many gamers collected a huge gaming library over the years on things
like Steam. Many of those games are 32bits games because that is what gets
you most compatibility with hardware out there, now all of those games,
which run fine up to one update ago, are not running anymore. My best
friend has this problem for example, from the 219 games in his Steam
library, only 69 run on Catalina.

Many offices can no longer print as the driver is 32bits...

None of this is happening because the people who developed all those
products are not serious. With LC it is easy to compile to many different
architectures but with a lot of code it is not that simple. Specially low
level C code might change a lot between 32bits and 64bits.

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 at 16:42, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <

http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.