ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 6 15:06:50 EDT 2020
Thanks for the example, Bob. Yes, it does seem very conclusive.
Do you know if there's an existing bug report for this?
I've seen a few other Win-specific reports, but the ones I recall were
mostly about file I/O, and I don't recall one for network I/O.
Fourth World Systems
Bob Sneidar wrote:
> Hi Richard.
> Just to be absolutely certain I excluded any other factors, I tested
> retrieving data from mySQL from a Mac and from a PC using only the
> Message Box (no UI).
> Since I am out of the office, I can only test my Mac remotely. I can
> however remote into the mySQL server at work which is running LC. Both
> are v9.5.1 Community.
> With the Mac I am getting as low as 295 milliseconds to query my
> entire database of customers and retrieve it as an array. On the
> actual server where the mySQL database resides, I am getting over 1000
> Querying for only 1 record from the same database, I’m getting 123 and
> 865 respectively. To ensure I wasn’t encountering DNS lag I set the
> server host to localhost. I cannot get much more local than that.
> Even with the added latency of the Internet from the Mac, and the
> advantage of the PC being the very computer the SQL server is on, I am
> getting a difference of roughly 7 times slower. No UI updating is
> involved. It’s a straight up message box script:
> put the milliseconds into tStart
> put sqlquery_createObject("customers") into qObject
> sqlquery_set qObject, "limit", 1
> put dbQuery(qObject, "array") into aData
> put the milliseconds into tEnd
> put tEnd - tStart
> I think this is pretty conclusive. Either Windows networking is for
> whatever reason, considerably slower, at least for this kind of
> operation, than Mac, or else the Windows LC engine is the bottleneck.
More information about the use-livecode