Go to card has become slow

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Apr 5 13:30:24 EDT 2020

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > Thanks Terry I did the same thing. The focus is on server performance,
 > not client. What I gleaned is that for an individual transaction, the
 > difference between a transactional select statement and non is
 > indistinguishable to the end user.

The rubric I was given back in the day is that transactions benefit
writes but not reads. Thanks for confirming.

 > Also, filtering out any save operations (including those occurring in
 > plugins) increased performance on Windows by an astounding amount.
 > While queries still take 3 to 4 times as long on Windows as they do on
 > Mac, the lag has become acceptable and comparable to other apps doing
 > similar operations.

I've been trying to sort through several reports about write speeds on
Windows, but most examples I've seen conflate several different tasks.
For example, the latest I came across had a mix of JSON translation and
array manipulation in addition to writes, so diligent analysis would
require pulling that example stack apart into three different tests to
pinpoint the actual bottleneck.

It may be that there's something about the APIs LC uses on Win which are
less than optimal, or perhaps something inherent in NTFS.

But I so often see speedy writes on Win in LC that I haven't yet pinned
down a recipe that exposes a write issue specific to LC on Windows.

Does anyone have a clue to the question that comes up in various forms
here lately: what factors could make writes from LC slower on Windows
than on Mac or Linux?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems