Our first Community Zoom Session

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Sat Apr 4 15:29:08 EDT 2020

On 4/4/20 8:33 AM, Dan Brown via use-livecode wrote:

> https://jitsi.org/ is a great open source Zoom alternative

Jitsi looks very impressive *if* you're running your own server.
Everything is encrypted from end to end *except* on the server itself,
so you probably don't want to use their cloud server if you're looking
for security.

...and as long as you're not running linux. I gave it two attempts and
decided they're not quite ready for the big leagues yet. Too many unmet
java dependencies. All I got launching from a commandline was pages of
java errors and a hung application. Launching from the menu after
installation was worse - just a hung app that had to be kill -9ed.
Seemed to work fine on OSX though, once I figured out that the prefs
panel was hidden behind the main window.

But I like the idea a lot, especially in terms of low latency - it's
basically a passthrough that supports encrypted communications.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com