cr, lf, and reading in terminals/vim

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Oct 31 12:24:48 EDT 2019

Ben Rubinstein wrote:

 > Brian Milby wrote:
 >> My suggestion is to just bite the bullet and build LC where 'file'
 >> exports using LF on Mac
 >
 > Oh please yes!

Seconded.

Containing the scope of the remedy to text writes should affect very
few, and those affected will probably welcome the change.

What needs to be done to move this forward?

Bob Sneidar  wrote:
 > Upon examining the ascii value of every line terminator I discovered
 > something, perhaps the OS or the software itself, converted the
 > terminators to something else. I also find this practice to be not
 > just confusing, but reprehensible.

LC supports two write modes: text and binary.  Perhaps the editor you'd
used supports the equivalent of LC's text mode, where the data is indeed
altered to provide greater convenience for cross-platform line-endings,
replacing NULLs with spaces, etc.  This is consistent with how HyperTalk
established writes, and I've seen some text editor packages do similar
things.

When you need to preserve data as-is, use binary mode.

Thankfully LC provides both.  HyperCard provided only text mode, and
SuperCard only binary mode.  I like being able to use each depending on
what I'm doing.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems