The Overflow

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Wed Oct 30 12:22:30 EDT 2019

If you're not already getting Stack Overflow's email newsletter
(published every two weeks) I want to recommend it highly. I just got
issue #3 in the mail today and it's got some fascinating articles in it.
A couple from the current issue:

The Lines of Code That Changed Everything
https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/consequential-computer-code-software-history.html

My Most Embarrassing Mistakes as a Programmer (so far)
https://stackoverflow.blog/2019/10/29/my-most-embarrassing-mistakes-as-a-programmer-so-far/

I've gotta quote from that one:

"It’s painful for most software developers to acknowledge this, because
they love code so much, but the best code is no code at all. Every new
line of code you willingly bring into the world is code that has to be
debugged, code that has to be read and understood, code that has to be
supported. Every time you write new code, you should do so reluctantly,
under duress, because you completely exhausted all your other options.
Code is only our enemy because there are so many of us programmers
writing so damn much of it."

Yes, you need sign up for a free Stack Overflow account for this
https://stackoverflow.com/users/signup

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com