identifying text chars in an image

Phil Davis phil at pdslabs.net
Mon Oct 28 17:23:37 EDT 2019

Thanks for the followup on this. I experimented some with tesseract and
came to the same conclusion.

Since the values assigned to each character are standard wthin Scrabble,
I don't really need to detect those tiny numerals. But the alpha chars
are of course essential.

I believe there must be a way to get there. Thankfully no one is
pressuring me to finish it, so I can explore.

Phil

On 10/28/19 1:57 PM, hh via use-livecode wrote:
> After a second read I think it will be hard to find a service to do that
> for you. And this is not doable using tesseract or similar from LiveCode:
>
> AFAIK, no "ordinary" OCR software is able to detect and read horizontal
> *and* vertical text and distinguish clearly between the board's "Score
> text" and the "Scrabble letters". You (or your service) would have to
> write an own "learning routine" for that.
>
> E.g. the algorithm described here:
> http://rasdasd.com/projects/Scrabble_Detector/Scrabble_Paper.pdf
>
> There are also approaches for own specialized boards like here
> https://github.com/eladj/ScrabbleOCR
> You could try to use the java from there via LC Builder's FFI.
>
>> Phil D. wrote:
>> I want to [programmatically] take a picture of a Scrabble board and then
>> take from that image the characters displayed in it, and maintain the
>> organization of the text. In other words, I want to convert the text
>> displayed in the image to text strings.
>>
>> Any ideas where I should start?
>>
>> I would love to be able to do it in my app. However I'm not completely
>> against uploading the image to a service that would do it for me; I am
>> only mostly against it.

Phil Davis
503-307-4363