identifying text chars in an image

hh hh at hyperhh.de
Mon Oct 28 16:57:15 EDT 2019

After a second read I think it will be hard to find a service to do that
for you. And this is not doable using tesseract or similar from LiveCode:

AFAIK, no "ordinary" OCR software is able to detect and read horizontal
*and* vertical text and distinguish clearly between the board's "Score
text" and the "Scrabble letters". You (or your service) would have to
write an own "learning routine" for that.

E.g. the algorithm described here:
http://rasdasd.com/projects/Scrabble_Detector/Scrabble_Paper.pdf

There are also approaches for own specialized boards like here
https://github.com/eladj/ScrabbleOCR
You could try to use the java from there via LC Builder's FFI.