Livecodeshare/SampleStacks

hh hh at hyperhh.de
Sat Oct 26 20:11:23 EDT 2019

> Richard G. wrote:
> I'll try to remember to never try others' scripts using "import
> snapshot", like I'm already in the habit of never thinking about having
> a browser widget, or the ability to play a movie or audio file, or have
> windows layer in an expected fashion...

The problem is that linux is for LiveCode a tiny niche.
And much more:
The linux users of the community are kind of "LiveCode masochists".

Some are so advanced with that, that they meanwhile feel *very* strong
pain only (your list above).

For example you didn't even notice that SampleStacks didn't work for
weeks when using Business or Indy and, despite notification in the list,
both livecodeshare and SampleStacks didn't load stacks of size > 2 MByte
for two days.

Also your "GoLiveNet" (I really liked it) is unusable since more than a
year from Mac using Indy or Business (I wrote you and gave up).

[It errors with message 'Error downloading URL "liveNet.livecode.gz".
Check network connection and proxy setup.'
One has to quit, open it in a community edition, quit community edition,
restart the Indy/Bussiness edition and relaunch GoLiveNet (that now can
use the cache). So probably a tsNet caused bug.
It is often too tedious to work around, I still feel the pain, although
I like LC on linux (on xubuntu especially).]

p.s. Mark Wieder wrote an 'ugly workaround' (his own words) for snapshot
on linux, I use it in "QRReader". It works well, whether ugly or not,
also where the browser widget works (LC 9.0.5 on ubuntu1604).