My old man vs LC Standalone

Pi Digital sean at pidigital.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 17:37:25 EDT 2019

Hi

The fact you can acquire via nefarious means nearly all software out there demonstrates how easily crackable software is. Adobe, Avid, Autodesk, Boris, Apple and Microsoft (for goodness sake) have all struggled and failed with it. Make it difficult for the everyday user to bypass, look at better price structures for those with morals and find ways to catch or make life tedious for the crackers.

A hacker breaks through walls and are mainly concerned with systems and networks. Crackers modify or bypass features or défenses in software. There’s a distinction.

A crackers motivation is based on the value they put on it, the value the customers put on it and the value the developer puts on it. The higher the value the product, the more effort you need to put in to protecting it.

Kee’s wife’s solution is a really good one but has high risk of eating itself through coding error which could affect the customer and any work they do within it. The bigger the software gets, the higher the risk.

Passwords are rubbish and easily bypassed. Network (home) calling make it easy for crackers to find the vulnerable points. Using a resource file is too obvious. Internal encryption is good but You need to still hide the passcodes somewhere clever and make them complicated enough. But even then, a machine code trace will pick up on the build and request of the passcodes and then it’s implementation.

As I say to all of my clients past and present, “Anything is possible given the time and resources”. True for both sides of the binary.

If it’s ‘fun’ you are after, put in as many of these things as possible and give him a real challenge. I don’t doubt your father will manage it but you can keep him on the merry-go-round a little bit longer than he expected. ;)

All the very best

Sean Cole
Pi Digital Prod Ltd