Push Card

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Tue Oct 22 14:39:23 EDT 2019

Hi Andrew,

I think the problem is having very many cards—in the thousands, each with text, images, etc.—that I experience slowdowns. The stack taking a long time to open, save, go to cards, and just wanting to freeze for awhile.

When I changed my method to just a few cards with the text and the data used to display it stored in arrays, page loading is lighting fast. Creating fields and buttons, formatting them and filling with text on the fly, then deleting them when I load the next “page" is really fast. I put images on a web server that I pre-download to memory so they display quickly when needed is also part of the plan. These images could otherwise be stored as files on disk, or in a LC stack. Images in a LC stack can be referenced by using a button and setting its icon to ID of the stored image.

Using these kinds of techniques I went from a 600 MB collection of stacks down 60 MB— 1/3 text and other data, 1/3 images used as thumbnail images embedded in text fields, and 1/3 the LC engine runtime, and I moved several hundred MB of images to the server.

LC is really fast with small stacks, and it’s really convenient just to lay out bunches of cards with stuff, but after  awhile, LC just isn’t fast anymore.

Peter Bogdanoff
artsinteractiveinc.com