Effective rect of stacks on Windows 10

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Oct 21 16:41:24 EDT 2019

Paul Dupuis wrote:

 > When the 'effective rect' of a stack was introduced to provide the
 > outer boundaries of a stack, along with the effective working
 > screenRects(s), I rewrote all my complicated windows management code
 > (and some of your clever tricks for Windows weirdness, Richard), to
 > use simple elegant code that worked awesomely on all OSX versions and
 > every Windows version until I tried it under Windows 10 and ...
 >
 > Not one of my happier days :-(

But at least it's a simpler workaround these day.

In the olden days the border width of a window in Windows was
user-settable, so the only way to get that (and a few other relevant
settings) was to obtain metrics from the Windows registry.

With Win10, if I read Mark Waddingham's comment correctly, the border
can only be 1px, so all those old registry calls can safely go away with
just simple hard-wired arithmetic.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems