Give a bug a hug

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue Oct 8 02:39:45 EDT 2019

On 10/7/19 10:13 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

 > I had extensive discussion about the Bugzilla voting system with
Kevin, Mark Waddingham, and others there at LiveCode Ltd., in response
to the reactions many members of our community (including yours truly)
expressed when the voting was removed from the bug DB.

 > What I learned was that although it seems like a good idea, in
practice it winds up being a less useful indicator of the "importance"
of a bug than one might intuitively think.

 > In dry terms, one of the issues with it is that it conflates two very
different signals: one for the severity of a bug to the individual
experiencing it, and another for the number of people affected by the bug.

Well, yes and no. But that's why I was suggesting that the severity of a
bug be determined by the team, and not by a bug report's popularity. The
CC field is somewhat useful, but nobody ever removes themselves from the
field (is that even possible?), and stale votes can skew the benefits of
the quantitative effects.

Earlier I avoided commenting on the politicking and grandstanding issues
concerning voting. There are interesting arguments around democracy and
power in the Federalist Papers. For a voting framework we could do worse
than adopt Scott Raney's proxyfor.me.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com