LiveCode now #49 at TIOBE Index!

Erik Beugelaar e.beugelaar at me.com
Mon Oct 7 14:13:44 EDT 2019

In my working life as an ict-engineer it was most of the times Microsoft related, so starting with Visual Basic 6/SQL Server decades ago and ending up with .NET/C# nowadays not to mention the SharePoint (365) and BizTalk implementations... But I must say I have only worked for companies who were Microsoft Dev Partners.

On 06/10/2019, 17:37, "use-livecode on behalf of Jjs via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

    Well in terms of jobs here in NL, most asked is Java, PHP, JavaScript,C++,SQL and a few others. The rest almost never.

    Richmond via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> schreef op 6 oktober 2019 08:37:13 CEST:

    >On 6.10.19 1:59, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
    >> On 10/5/19 3:36 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
    >>
    >>> But this month LC broke new ground:
    >>>
    >>> For the first time since I've been tracking TIOBE, LC IS NOW IN THE
    >>> UPPER 50, ranked as the 49th most popular language:
    >>>
    >>> https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
    >>
    >> Great news!, I think... note that the TIOBE rating is based on lines
    >> of code written, not popularity.
    >
    >Lines of code written where?
    >
    >Lines of code written in what context?
    >
    >Are the TIOBE people able to stick their virtual noses into every
    >computer on the planet
    >and see who is doing what with what programming language?
    >
    >This all seems a bit specious.
    >
    >Frankly I'd be far, far more interested to know in what contexts
    >different programming languages are used.
    >
    >Over here, in Bulgaria, something like 90% of IT companies are hooked
    >on
    >C++, and the rest on C#,
    >while high schools seem to be split between C++/# and Visual BASIC. But
    >
    >Bulgaria is an "ever so slightly
    >retro" country that is very small indeed, so, statistically probably
    >has
    >very little bearing on the global
    >situation.
    >>
    >> I'm not fond of metrics based on lines of code written. Since
    >LiveCode
    >> packs so much power into a single statement vs the number of line of
    >> code it takes to do the same job in most other languages, I'd think
    >> that we're actually much higher in the standings than a simple
    >> quantitative statistic would indicate.
    >
    >Indeed.
    >
    >And quantative is not necessarily qualitative.
    >>
    >> What did we knock out of place to get there? I see we're only 0.001%
    >> above Crystal, whatever that is.
    >? Meth ?
    >
    >The fact that LiveCode is at position 49 is, nevertheless, good, as it
    >might attract the attention
    >of the sort of people who make decisions of what sort of programming
    >language to use on
    >its popularity: and while that might seem a bit naff, every little
    >advance helps.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail.