Hactoberfest is coming...

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Tue Oct 1 10:54:34 EDT 2019

Hi Mike.

I do this already in some "popup" fields I use. (There are reasons I use fields instead of buttons I won't go into here.)

Depending on the popup, I may have an option like "New Customer..." as the first line in a list field. For my customers I maintain the last 15 customers accessed, and I store them between sessions in a local prefs file (each user needs their own recents). I have a Salesperson popup which behaves a bit differently. Here I maintain a list of salespersons in an SQL table called "lists" so that everyone sees the same list of salespersons. If a value is entered for a salesperson not in the list, I ask the user if they want to add this salesperson. This gives the user the opportunity to decline in case it is simply a mistype.

I will often use a rawKeyUp handler to implement a hottype feature. Looks something like this:

ON rawKeyUp
   IF the text of me is empty THEN
      exit to top
   END IF

   wait .5 seconds WITH messages
   lock messages
   put filterOptions(lSalesPersons) into theSalesPersons
   listOptions theSalesPersons
   unlock messages
   select after me
   -- pass rawKeyUp
   exit to top
END rawKeyUp

lSalesPersons is script local variable that I populate with the salespersons on openField. filterOptions returns a list matching salespersons LIKE %<whatever the user has typed so far>%. listOptions populates the popup field so the user can select one of the filtered salespersons.

HTH

Bob S