[ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue Nov 26 14:53:36 EST 2019

On 11/26/19 10:34 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> Its not a major point release, its a minor point release a la semantic
> versioning (https://semver.org/) - major.minor.maintenance.

OK. I don't want to get into arguing semantics.
But there are now several active (?) streams.
LC 8.2.0 is still at a DP2 build
I take it that the 8.x series is a dead end?

LC 9.0.x is at a stable 9.0.5 build.
Is that the end of 9.0?

LC 9.5.1 is at the RC1 stage, and has been for three weeks
In LC history that's pretty long for an RC release to lay stagnant.
Is there going to be a stable LC 9.5 release or is development now going
towards 9.6?

LC 9.6.0 is newly at DP1
And I take it that this is the wave of the future and why building from
source announces itself as 9.6.

> It contains a number of changes which are definitely not suitable for a
> maintenance release (as they add or change functionality) but are
> critical to quite a number of people's apps (iOS player issues, in
> particular; but also some android issues too) [ otherwise they would
> have been in a 9.5.2! ]

Yes, this feels subjectively to me like a 9.5.2 release. Again, I don't
want to argue naming semantics, but the 9.0->9.5 jump was a major
change, and this doesn't feel like that kind of leap to me. I'm glad the
problems were fixed, I just expected more from the build level.

> (which is something for when I have a 'spare' afternoon).

Heh.

> We felt it better to get dp-1 almost feature complete, addressing the
> critical issues holding up people's apps first before lumping a lot of
> fixes from all over the place. The latter always risks a greater
> increase in the possibility of regressions and thus potential for a
> largely unusable build.

No argument there.
OK - I'm not going to get anywhere by pushing this point further, so I'm
gonna shut up and get back to working on things.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com