Commands on server and lack of examples

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Nov 19 20:13:04 EST 2019

On 19/11/2019 18:19, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> I may be able to help with the workaround, writing a script to set
> that up.  But I'm finding that there are so many different shared
> hosting configs, each with their own precious special needs, that
> making a single installation script for all of them is non-trivial.

Call me a cynic :-) - but I'm an optimistic cynic ....

I know *absolutely* nothing about the workaround or what's involved -
but it's easy to believe there are a myriad of special config needs.
However, I'm a cynic so I'll admit that I don't care about all the many
hundreds or thousands of them - I only care about two; the two ISPs I
use for my own sites.

That's not *simply* selfishness, because I believe there are perhaps
only a handful of ISPs who provide a high percentage of the Livecode
(shared) servers found in the real world, and I'm optimistic to think
that solving this problem for those cases would be enough to make a
difference, and specifically would help anyone coming to LC server as a
new user.

Google tells me (in a 30 second search, limited to the first two pages)
that only on-rev (aka Livecode hosting) and HostM specifically advertise
themselves for Livecode servers. Maybe those two would be a good start ?

(and by coincidence are the two I care about :-) :-)

Alex.