Indy 9.5.0. Apple can't search for malware in LC Indy?

Phil Davis phil at pdslabs.net
Tue Nov 5 16:35:07 EST 2019

On 11/5/19 12:26 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> I am sure it is possible. I just don't have the
> PHP/HTML/Javascript/whatever skills to do that.

Me neither. I do it either directly in a .lc server page, or else the
.lc page starts using a stackfile that does it.

(fiddling around with different machines...)

It appears the $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] server global might provide an
adequate distinction between OSes on requesting machines. I just ran a
'globals.lc' server page from 3 different Macs with different OS
versions and got this info returned:

    $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
    10_13_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.87
    Safari/537.36

    $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
    10_15_1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.70
    Safari/537.36

    $_SERVER[HTTP_USER_AGENT] = Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X
    10_14_5) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.1.1
    Safari/605.1.15

My server's globals.lc page looks like this on the inside:

    <?lc
         set the errorMode to "inline"
         put the keys of $_SERVER into tList
         repeat for each line tKey in tList
             put "$_SERVER[" & tKey & "] = " & $_SERVER[tKey] & "<BR>"
    after tOutput
         end repeat

         put tOutput
    ?>

Phil Davis

> On 11/5/2019 12:02 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode wrote:
>> On this issue, isn't it possible to let a web server detect the OS
>> requesting the download? So the server can then do the picking and
>> send the right version to the requestor?
>>
>> Or maybe the info available to the server about the requesting OS
>> isn't that detailed. Not sure. At least I'm sure I can use a single
>> download link for an app's Mac and Windows installers.
>>
>> Phil Davis
>>

>> On 11/5/19 8:33 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
>>> I'm not saying YOUR experience is invalid. I guess I am just saying
>>> we have really really really computer naive customers and Apple has
>>> gone and complicated things and it creates a support burden for us
>>> that we would not have had to expend resources addressing if Apple
>>> had not done this.
>>>
>>> Apple has, and there is no going back, so it is what it is, but it
>>> is really really annoying! :-(

Phil Davis
503-307-4363