Dictionary

R.H. roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Thu May 23 15:26:01 EDT 2019

I agree that the dictionary often leaves guess work.

The biggest problem I have with the dictionary is forgetting the name of a
function and trying to guess the name. If there were lots of tags to look
for... but... You must know at least the beginning of a name.

And how can you even search not knowing what to search for when you only
know what you want to solve? (Well, search elsewhere...)

But it would be really very good if editors would put themselves into the
shoes of newbies assuming no prior knowledge about any of the many
acronyms, and providing links for further study or simply more explanation
when a function is not trivial.

I know, it is hard work. If such task could be structured and we were
invited as editors to contribute in a more user-friendly way? But too many
editors may also spoil the soup.

W3School is s great example of how to combine tutorials with reference
lists (dictionary).

The dictionary is a central point of focus for every developer. Probably,
there is just not enough knowledgable manpower to not just do the absolute
minimum.

When Mark is explaining something here, then often I get a picture of what
is behind the hood. He cannot be, but should be editor-in-chief... )