return <value> with <value>?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 15 20:25:55 EDT 2019

Monte Goulding wrote:

 >> On 16 May 2019, at 6:22 am, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> Line 264 of libURL contains:
 >>
 >>    return empty  with urlResult laLoadedUrls[newUrl]
 >>
 >> What is that "with" clause?
 >>
 >> I was familiar with the "for" clause", but when I went to check this
 >> in the Dictionary I found neither clause is mentioned. :(
 >
 > The `for` clause is definitely in the dictionary and has been since it
 > was added here https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/4164
 > <https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/4164>

One of the benefits of being a Linux user choosing LiveCode is it
teaches self-reliance. :)

Work on Linux issues has slowed without Peter Brett and Fraser Gordon,
and the Browser widget the Dictionary has become dependent on hasn't
worked on that platform for a long time (years?).

So we penguin fans roll up our sleeves and bookmark the API reference at
the official LiveCode.com site - where the Dictionary seems to have
fallen behind:

https://livecode.com/resources/api/#livecode_script/return

 > The `with` clause is something specifically for libURL which ends up
 > setting the urlResult.

Can it be used in other contexts, or is the engine hard-wired to put the
"with" value into the urlResult only?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems