Help with Pasting of RTL languages into a field

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Mon May 13 18:18:29 EDT 2019

Also it may help to relate this back to our own language: what alignment
should be used consistently for English text? Left? Are you sure? :)

In fact it's also common enough to align center (title), right (date),
etc. Left is only the default. Each par (and even tab stops) must be
able to inherit and override. It defaults for our convenience but is not
chiseled in stone. Alignment is a paragraph property.

Arabic and Hebrew pages can be formatted too. RTL and LTR text can even
exist on the same line of text. Thus alignment is ultimately up to the
user (and to some extent the app designer) just as it is with LTR text.

In Richmond's experiment I assume that the Google RTL text was either
implicitly right aligned or inside an aligned UI container, while the
RTF source was explicitly aligned at the par level. If so, both pastes
make good sense!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development