Localisation - Internationalization Package

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Mar 21 13:32:43 EDT 2019

R.H. wrote:

 > Dear Richard
 >
 > Thanks a lot for the input regarding the dateFormat function. Very
 > nice.
 >
 > To add: It is also helpful to
 >
 > ... set the useSystemDate to true...
 >
 > and then also the local date format such as dd.mm.yyyy evaluates to
 > true when asking if it is a date, or not.

The useSystemDate global property is very helpful in many contexts, but
as you wrote earlier it's difficult to use it to understand the local
format because it outputs only results from the local format, but
doesn't tell us the underlying pattern used to create that output.

The example you raised with month and day combos differing between
regions is a good one:

Is "2/4/19" describing April 2 or February 4?

We can guess, and hope that we're right, but it's a crap shoot.

When the team added the dateFormat function, now we have a chance to see
not just the output from the local format, but to understand its definition.

In some ways this is better, certainly more specific, than guessing the
format by attempting to determine the local geographic region, because
even if the user has chosen system settings that may differ from
regional norms the dateFormat will reflect the user's current choices,
obtained directly from those system settings.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems