BACKUPS !!!

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Mar 19 15:02:46 EDT 2019

Thanks for the reminder, Ralph, and glad you indeed had backups.

On which subject... my top tip to friends, family, and even casual
acquaintances is *Backblaze* network backup.

It's not a substitute for local and off-site direct backups. I'm sure that as
professionals in an IT-related field we all have all those in hand. And for
those with just a laptop rather than a big raid array etc all the operating
systems now make it trivially easy (and cheap) to plug in a little USB drive
and be backed up. But our less technical friends and family may just not have
got round to it yet; and if they have - especially with a laptop - they may
not remember to plug the backup drive in very often.

There are lots of network backup options of course - I could never get round
to setting it up for my family's machines because there were too many options
to choose between, and surely I should go one of the free setups between
computers... etc. Too many options, result inertia.

What makes Backblaze fantastic, in my opinion, is that they've cut through all
of that, reducing to the absolute minimum the effort and choices required. Go
to https://backblaze.com, click "try it for free", enter your email address
and make up a password. It downloads a little installer - you run that and
you're essentially done.

They bake your email/password into the installer so you don't have to do
anything else. After a while they'll email you to tell you how it's going;
eventually they'll email to invite you to give them your credit card if you
want to keep going. There is a control panel, there are options, there are
other groovy features - but if you never know about or touch them you'll still
be getting backed up.

There are also no plans to choose between: it's $60/computer/year, regardless
of how big (or how many) the drive(s) attached to that computer.

Backblaze are very clear that this shouldn't be your first- or second-line
backup. They're right. But if I ask my spouse or child when they last plugged
the backup drive into their laptop, I know the answer will make me cry. The
fact that Backblaze will have kept running to the last minute they closed the
lid is my sanity clause. When bad things inevitably happen - and of course it
will fall to me to deal with it - I will be able to rescue their undeserving
asses!

I don't want to give you an affiliate link because I'd rather you got backed
up than doubted the purity of my evangelism! If you're all covered, good for
you. But if you're not, or if your cousin, colleague, or chiropractor look
like they need a clue - I think this is a very small amount of money to
increase peace of mind.

Ben