LiveCode Localization?

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Sun Mar 17 17:57:02 EDT 2019

Hi,

I use custom properties for both interface and content.

Since there is a lot of content, I have a separate data stack. This data stack has fields, one for each major section of the program, and each of those objects contains data: arrays of html text, field format settings, etc., each array encoded and compressed and written to a custom property.

When the program opens, the data for the current language is read into memory, interface buttons and fields loaded, and content text loaded into the fields of each section. Then the language can be switched with a preference change or key combination, and that language data is loaded. It happens quite fast.

When the program opens the very first time, there is a screen which asks for the user to set the language choice, and that choice writes to a preference file. I don’t check the OS language, I suppose I could, but since it will ultimately be in multiple languages I have provided a means for a primary and secondary language—with the idea that users may want to switch between the original English and their own language, or any of the languages we will ultimately provide.

And since there is a single data stack, that file can be updated automatically with new material without having to update and restart the whole program.

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive Inc.